Doubitsia is a wide wildlife refuge area, as it is designated in Natura 2000 protected areas network, which towers above the stunning Vyros gorge. With Taygetos summit (2407m) and Chalasmeno Peak (2203m) dominating the distant horizon and its lush vegetation and wildlife, it is a uniquely wild scenery.
This is a challenging, but exceptionally rewarding trek. The adventure starts from Exochori, an incredibly scenic stone-built village, at an elevation of 450 m. We reach Doubitsia plateau after a 2.5 km uphill walk with commanding views over the gorge. Then, we move on downhill through an eerie dark forest to end up in the dry riverbed of the gorge itself. The return to Exochori and end of the hike is via the ancient trail that connected Sparta to Kardamili.
What is included
- Transfer with our four-wheel-drive drive vehicle from the starting to the ending point
- Guide service
Why Do We Recommend It?
- Because this is truly a unique environment, both harsh and inspiringly beautiful.
- Most of the walking is in shade conditions, which makes it perfect for a summer hike!
- It has a spectacular view of the west Mani area
- We love hiking and this is a great hike!
- Experienced hiking guide and first aider
Is it right for me?
- At least average physical fitness is required for this trip. You’ll be hiking for around 5 hours
- First-time hikers are welcome, as long as they are reasonably fit
- If you’re unsure, just get in touch with us and we’ll be happy to talk through and advise you.
Can I Go Anytime?
This tour is available during all seasons and you can select your date during the booking process. We’ll then get back to you with the confirmation.
If you don’t find any dates that are suitable for you, just get in touch by phone or email and we’ll let you know if anything can be arranged. We always do our best to get you the holiday you want!
Keep in mind
- Duration: 4-5 hours
- Meeting Point: Kardamili at 7:00
- Hike starts: Exochori
- Tour Ends: Kardamili at 13:00
- Group Size: max 6 people
- Age: No limit
Must have with
- Bottle of water – 1,5lt
- Sunscreen (especially during summer months)
- Hiking shoes (low or high). Trainers, open shoes like sandals or flip-flops are unsuitable
- One day hiking backpack 20lt (if available)
- A spare T-shirt
- A windstopper jacket
- A snack